Friday, August 21, 2009

Earthquake!

Since I've been in Taiwan, there have been two earthquakes that I have not felt. Not so this morning! Just before 5am we woke up to our bed shaking. "Earthquake" I said to Wally as I rolled over, then I looked at the clock and went back to sleep. They say that if an earthquake wakes sleeping people, then it is a 4, and sure enough, when I checked on it just now (and above) it was a four.

I have to say that it was not like the episode of Laverne and Shirley where the earthquake makes their beds move around the room. Our bed is in the same spot. It just felt like the Earth was growling. Still pretty cool.

An explanation of the numbers in the above pics can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Meteorological_Agency_seismic_intensity_scale



1 comment:

  1. glad to know you guys survived the earthquake! we were thinking taiwan was going to be super hot and typhoon-y forever because we hit the hottest day and the worst typhoon in the last 50 years the first week here! hope you guys are having fun and teaching is going well. things are great up here. we finally bought a car, so hopefully we'll make it down near you guys in the next couple months. heading to taipei this weekend. bye!

    ReplyDelete