Thursday, July 9, 2009

Life Takes Visa... so does this trip

"Please kindly plan your trip to get your resident visa"

That one line in an email that I received last Friday has sent my world spinning. My resident visa? My trip? What?

Okay, I admit it, I should have seen this coming. I've done a lot of research. I've gotten paperwork for just about everything... just about.

For reasons undisclosed there has been a delay in the processing of all of the new teacher's work permits. None of us realized this until it landed on us. I am glad to say, in pure Bart Simpson style, "I didn't do it". All of my paperwork was in on time. But the school works as one unit and if one person is missing something, we are all missing something. I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm just saying I didn't do it.

With less than three weeks remaining before we leave, we are all charged with the task of securing our visas, a process that takes at least two weeks to accomplish. During that time, we have to surrender our passports. In other words, if there is any delay, we can't go. No passport=no trip.

The nearest TECO (Taipei Economic and Cultural Office) is in Miami. A six hour drive, one-way. The lady at TECO has been nice enough, explaining all that I have to do all three times I have called her. She was very nice to let me know that it is not worth the six hour drive, as it would make no difference in the processing time. I will be using FedEx.

So, fingers crossed, by next Friday our visas should be processed. By next Tuesday, July 21, we should have our passports back in our hands. In plenty of time for our trip... I need to go knock some wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment